Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/alfarome/public_html/staging/wp-content/themes/Alfaromeo/single.php on line 7

The History of Alfa Romeo’s Quadrifoglio Verde Logo

20 January 2017

Alfa Romeo’s Quadrifoglio Verde performance brand may be a bit of a mouthful to pronounce, but Alfa has good reasoning to keep the quintessentially Italian nameplate around. It has been around since 1923 and has adorned every single one of the automaker’s significant racing and performance cars, making it so much more than just a green cloverleaf logo.

 

Alfa-Romeo-Quadrifoglio-Verde-Badge

 

The Quadrifoglio Verde logo traces its roots to Ugo Sivocci, who was an experienced driver but was often considered to have bad luck. To remedy this, he painted a green cloverleaf with a white box on the grille of his car ahead of the 1923 Targa Florio and promptly won the race, making the logo a mainstay on Alfa racecars.

A few months after winning the Targa Florio, Sivocci was racing in the European Grand Prix trials when his Alfa Romeo P1, which was not adorned with the trademark cloverleaf, went off track and crashed, killing him. From there on out, the white diamond (4-sided) portion of the logo was replaced with a white triangle (3-sided) to mark Sivocci’s absence.

Since then, the Quadrifoglio Verde logo has adorned World Championship winning racecars like the Alfa Romeo P2 and Alfetta 159, in addition to high-performance Alfa road cars like the 8C and the new Giulia QV.

 

Listen to Reid Bigland, head of Alfa Romeo North America, as he tells the history of the Quadrifoglio Verde in the video below.