Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/alfarome/public_html/staging/wp-content/themes/Alfaromeo/single.php on line 7

The Alfa Romeo Badge – Evolution

13 January 2017

Now that we have a rough idea of the origins of the Alfa Romeo badge, let’s look at how it has evolved to what it is 106 years later.

 

1915

Even though Nicola Romeo bought the firm in 1915, it was not until 1920 that his surname was added to the badge. This new version appeared on a 20/30 HP. The characters were bolder than before but in the same font.

1925

Honouring the P2’s victory in the first World Grand Prix Championship, the 65 mm diameter badge was surrounded by a laurel wreath in brass bringing the overall diameter up to 76 mm. The basic design of the serpent and the wreath were simplified.

In 1932, cars for the French market, Milano was replaced by Paris.

In 1933, export models in general replaced Milano with 3 Sabaudo knots.

From 1930 to 1945, the overall diameter was 60 mm.

1945

With the constitution of the republic, the two Sabaudo knots were replaced by two undulating lines. The badge was produced in plain metal with no enamelling and on a red ground. The badge was 54 mm in diameter.

1950

With the introduction of the 1900, the Alfa Romeo badge returned to its pre-war appearance, with the exception of the Sabaudo knots. The wreath was styled thinner and the ‘M’ of Milano was modified. The 54 mm diameter retained.

1960

The enamelled brass was abandoned while the appearance was almost identical.

1972

The Alfasud, produced at Pomigliano d’Arco, came with an Alfa Romeo badge which had the Milano script and the two undulating lines eliminated.

1982

The final modification was the removal of the laurel wreath. In the mid-eighties, the diameter of the badge was again increased to 75 mm, and it was made in high standard plastic which resembled enamel.

 

There is no record of the first supplier of A.L.F.A. badges, but in 1911 the Stabilimento Artistico Bregonzzio Giuseppe was founded. This company supplied the Portello factory with the necessary badges for all its models up to 1945. With the Second World War it was the OMEA company that supplied the trim, then it was Bellù until the end of the Seventies followed by BO.MI.SA and, finally, FLL, who makes it in plastic on laminate.

 

Next up, stay tuned for the story of the Quadrifoglio Verde – Alfa Romeo’s four leaves clover.

If you’d like to read up on Alfa Romeo badge’s origins, click here.

 

Image source:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/290693350923933334/
Information source:
d’Amico, Stefano and Tabucchi, Maurizio. Alfa Romeo – Le vetture di produzione dal 1910. Milan: Giorgio Nada Editore s.r.l., 1996. Print